Mid Autumn Festival = Full moon Festival
Family Reunion /ˌriːˈjuːniən/
to reunite /ˌriːjuˈnaɪt/
Today is the day of our family reunion.
Family gathering /ˈɡæðərɪŋ/
Star shaped lantern
Lantern parade /pəˈreɪd/
Dragon /ˈdræɡən/ Dance
Banyan tree /ˈbænjən/
To look up at the moon
1. Wish you and your family a happy Mid-Autumn Festival.
2. Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! May the round moon bring you a happy family and a successful future.
Snow skin moon cake = Snowy moon cake
Lotus seed paste /peɪst/
Red bean paste
Mung bean paste
Salted egg yolk /jəʊk/
Ube moon cake
Matcha moon cake
Ube = purple yam
Purple sweet potato
Jelly moon cake
To celebrate /ˈselɪbreɪt/- celebration (noun) /ˌselɪˈbreɪʃn/
Bonfire party /ˈbɑːnfaɪər/
Every festival has many different customs.
Ceremony (noun) /ˈserəməʊni/ - Opening ceremony
to offer sacrifices /ˈsækrɪfaɪs/ = to worship
Tomorrow, they will hold a ceremony to offer sacrifices to ancestors.
The lunar calendar
Fiesta (n) /fiˈestə/
To give someone a gift
`It’s Valentine’s Day the day after tomorrow – you have to give me a gift.
To long for = to miss
I miss my family a lot.
Tradition (noun) /trəˈdɪʃn/ - traditional (adj)
Vietnamese traditional dress is Ao Dai
Culture (noun) /ˈkʌltʃər/ - Cultural (adj)
Colorful (a) - colorful lanterns
Secondary school (Br.E) = Junior high school (Am.E) = Middle school (Am.E)
To participate in = to take part in = to join = to attend
Participant (noun) /pɑːrˈtɪsɪpənt/
Play the drum
Square (noun) /skwer/ - Nguyen Tat Thanh square
Visitor (noun) - Local visitors
Feast (noun) /fiːst/
Fireworks display /ˈfaɪərwɜːrk/ /dɪˈspleɪ/
Some of the outdoor activities for children:
Tug of war
Hide and seek
Play marbles /ˈmɑːrbl/
Play hopscotch /ˈhɑːpskɑːtʃ/
Merry go round
Seesaw /ˈsiː sɔː/
Capture the flag /ˈkæptʃər/
Warm up Questions
- Do people in your country celebrate Mid Autumn festival?
- When is Mid Autumn festival?
- Do you have a family reunion or family gathering on Mid Autumn festival?
- Do you often go out or stay at home on Mid Autumn festival?
- What do you often do on Mid Autumn festival?
- Do you often buy lanterns on Mid Autumn festival?
- What’s your favorite lantern?
- Have you ever joined any Lantern parade before?
- Do your schools win any prizes for the lanterns?
- Do you often watch Lion dance or Dragon dance?
- Do you love watching Full moon?
- Do you know Moon man and Moon goddess?
- What food do you often eat on Mid Autumn festival?
- Do your parents give you gifts?
- What gifts do your parents often give you?
- Do you often exchange wishes?
- Who do you exchange wishes with?
- Do you often eat mooncakes?
- What flavor of mooncakes do you like?
- Do you like Snow skin or Jelly mooncakes?
- Which songs do you often sing or listen to on Mid Autumn festival?
- What traditional games do you often play on Mid Autumn festival?
Student A: Student A: What’s your favorite festival?
Student B: I like Tet
Student A: Student A: When is Tet?
Student B: It’s on January 1st of the lunar calendar
Student A: Student A: What do you often do during Tet?
Student B: I often help my parents decorate our house. We go shopping to buy new clothes and shoes. Children often have lucky money. We also go to the flower market and visit relatives’ houses
Student A: Student A: What food do you often have during Tet?
Student B: We often eat sticky rice with mung bean and pork,Student B: We often eat sticky rice with mung bean and pork, fried spring rolls, Vietnamese hams, soup and so on.
Student A: Wow, that’s cool.
Student B: How about you? Student B: How about you? What’s your favorite festival?
Student A: I like Mid Autumn festival
Student B: Student B: When is it?
Student A: It’s on August 15th of the Lunar calendar.
Student B: Student B: What do you often do during Mid Autumn festival?
Student A: We often get together and have dinner. Sometimes we hang out together and watch the lion dance.
Student B: Student B: What food do you often have during Mid Autumn festival?
Student A: We often have moon cakes and drink hot tea. I love matcha and lotus seed moon cake.