Exercise 10: Talking to a landlady (17:41)
Mrs. Tiger's new lodger is asking what he is allowed to do. Listen to the conversation and make a cross (X) if it is not allowed and fill in the table below.
Exercise 13: Trip to Belfast (25:38)
Listen to the talk and fill in the missing information in the notes below:
Belfast is one of the (1)___ capital cities in the world and it has grown very fast. Today the city has a population of (2)___, nearly a third of the entire population of Northern Ireland, but in the 17th century it was only a (3)___. Then, during the 19th century, the development of industries like linen, rope-making, (4)___, tobacco and sea trade doubled the town size every ten years. The city is well known for (5)___. It was here that the "Titanic" was built and set out on her (6) ___ maiden voyage.
Plan for the trip to Belfast
Exercise 14: TV and radio (28: 23)
Listen to the talk and complete the notes below.
There are two main broadcasting companies in Britain.
One is (1)___, the other is (2)___
National radio is controlled by the (3)___. There are four stations.
(8) The BBC has ___ TV channels. ___ has more serious programmes and news features.
(9) The IBA is responsible for looking after ___ independent TV companies.
(10) There is a break for advertisements about every ___ minutes.
(11) Channel 4 is an independent channel. It has more ___ programmes than the main channels.
(12) Many people think the programmes on British TV have a ___ standard, but some people ___ the amount of violence on TV.
Exercise 15: Sports (30:44)
Questions 1 - 10
Listen to the talk and fill in the missing information in the right places
Questions 11 - 16
Indicate whether the following statements are true or false by writing T for true and F for false in the boxes below.
11. All colleges have their own impressive sports facilities T/F
12. The most popular outdoor sports are football and tennis T/F
13. Motor racing is one of the most popular sports in Britain T/F
14. "To play the game" means "That's not fair" T/F
15. "That's not cricket" means "to be fair" T/F
16. The most popular sport in Britain is football T/F