- Customer /ˈkʌstəmər/
- Cashier /kæˈʃɪr/
- Assistant /əˈsɪstənt/
- Manager/ supervisor
Shelf / shelves
Lift - elevator
Escalator / s
Bag / s
Fitting rooms / changing rooms
Ways to Pay:
- Notes - a $5 note
- Card machine - POS
- Chip and pin machine
- Credit cards / debit cards
- Loyalty card
Where to Buy:
- convenience store / general store / newsagents / department store / shop / store
- chemist / pharmacy
- toy shop / toy store
- book shop
- ladies clothing shop / boutique
- men’s clothing shop / tailor
- shoe shop
- jeweller’s / jewellery store
- electrical store
- record shop
- charity shop / second hand shop
- shopping centre
- shopping mall / mall
- florist / botanist
- seafood store
- grocery store
- baker’s / bakery
- DIY store / home supply store
- hardware store
- post office
- gardening store / gardening centre
- Put your items on the counter please.
- Why don’t you put on that new jacket you bought yesterday?
TRY ON (to test an item to see if it is suitable)
- Can I try these dresses on somewhere please?
DROP IN (to visit someone casually)
- Drop in during your lunch break when you have more time, and I’ll help you find the right pair of shoes for you.
SELL OUT (to sell the whole supply of something)
- I’m afraid all those watches have sold out now; they were very popular over Christmas!
HELP OUT (to assist someone)
- Could you help me out please? I can’t do the zip up on this dress!
GIVE BACK (to return something)
- I’ll have to give this ring back to Tom, because he broke off the engagement.
Shirts & Dresses Design
1. Plain dress (dark green color) /pleɪn dres (dɑːrk ɡriːn ˈkʌlər)/
2. Floral dress (pink color) /ˈflɔːrəl dres (pɪŋk ˈkʌlər)/
3. Maxi dress /ˈmæksi dres/
4. Vertical striped dress /ˈvɜːrtɪkl straɪpt dres/
5. Horizontal striped dress (black and white color) /ˌhɔːrɪˈzɑːntl straɪpt dres (blæk ənd waɪt ˈkʌlər)/
6. Checked dress /ˈtʃekt dres/
7. Long sleeve shirt (checked) /lɔːŋ sliːv ʃɜːrt (ˈtʃekt)/
8. Short sleeve shirt (plain, white color) /ʃɔːrt sliːv ʃɜːrt (pleɪn, waɪt ˈkʌlər)/
9. Sleeveless shirt (white color, with vertical stripes) /ˈsliːvləs ʃɜːrt (waɪt ˈkʌlər, wɪð ˈvɜːrtɪkl straɪps)/
10. O neck T shirt
11. V neck dress
12. T shirts with heart neck
I/ Opening times
- What time are you open until?
- What time do you close today?
- Are you open on the weekends?
- Are you open all day?
- What are your opening hours?
- Are you open on Sundays?
- Are you open every day during the week?
- What time do you open tomorrow?
- We’re open from 9am to 6pm.
- We’re open on weekdays only (Monday to Friday).
- We’re open from 10am to 8pm.
- We’re open 7 days a week.
- We’re open 24/7 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
- We’re closed at lunchtime, between 12pm and 2pm.
- We’re closed on national holidays.
II/ Selecting goods
1/ Assistant’s Questions:
- Can / May I help you?
- Can I help you find something?
- What color would you like?
- What size would you like?
- Is there anything else I can help you with?
- Would you like to try it/them on?
- Is that any good?
- What can I do for you?
- How does it fit?
- How about this one?
- Anything else?
- Would you like anything else?
2/ Customer’s Questions:
- Excuse me, do you work here?
- Could you help me please?
- I’m looking for a ….
- I’m trying to find a ….
- Could you tell me where the …. is, please?
- How much is this?
- How much are these?
- How much does this cost?
- How much is that …. in the window?
- Where can I find the …. ?
- Do you sell …. ?
- Do you have any … ?
- Would you have this in another color?
- Do you have anything cheaper?
- Do you have something less pricey (expensive)?
- Do you have this item in stock?
- Do you have a smaller/bigger/larger size?
- Do you know where else I could try?
- Does it come with a guarantee/warranty?
- Where is the changing/fitting room?
- Is there somewhere I can try it/this/them on, please?
- Where can I weigh my groceries?
- Do/Can you deliver?
- Do you have a refund policy?
- Is this in the sale?
3/ Assistant’s Responses:
- I’m afraid that’s the only color we have.
- Sorry, we don’t have any more in stock.
- Sorry, we don’t sell those / them here.
- I’m afraid we don’t have any more left.
- We have exactly what you’re looking for.
- This one is on sale right now!
- It comes with a manufacturer’s warranty.
- It comes with a 1-year guarantee.
- The changing / fitting rooms are that way.
- The scales are by the counter over there. That’s where you can weigh your groceries.
- That one is ….(price).
- They’re ….(price) each.
- You can get a refund if you keep the receipt safe, and bring it back within 2 weeks.
4/ Customer’s Responses:
- I don’t need any help. I’m just browsing, thanks.
- No, I’m just looking, thanks.
- Wow, that’s cheap!
- That’s good value.
- Oh, that’s expensive.
- That’s quite reasonable.
- That’s a little over my budget.
- That’s not exactly what I’m looking for.
- I’ll take it.
- I’ll take this, please.
- It’s too long / too short.
- It’s too tight / too loose.
III. Making payment
1/ Cashier’s Questions:
- Are you in the queue?
- Are you being served?
- Who’s next?
- Next, please!
- How would you like to pay?
- Will that be cash or credit?
- Do you have a loyalty card?
- Would you like a bag?
- Can I help you with anything else?
- Will that be all?
- Would you like a gift receipt for that?
- Would you like me to gift wrap it for you?
- Would you like any cash back?
- Put your card into the machine, please.
- Enter your PIN, please.
- The total is ….(price).
- That’s ….(price), please.
2/ Customer’s Questions:
- Do you take credit cards?
- Can I pay by cheque, please?
- Could I have a receipt, please?
- Could I have a gift receipt, please?
- Could you gift wrap that for me please?
- Can I put one item back, please? I’ve changed my mind about this one.
- Could I leave my bags here, and pick them up later, please?
- Do you offer a cash discount?
- Does it have a warranty / guarantee?
3/ Cashier’s Responses:
- We take / accept all major credit cards.
- Sorry, we don’t accept cheques.
- I’m afraid we take cash only.
4/ Customer’s Responses:
- I’ll pay in cash
- I’ll pay by card
- Here’s ….(money), keep the change!
- That’s it for today.
- That’s all, thanks.
- Thank you. Have a good day!
IV. Returns and complaints
- Who can I speak to about making a complaint?
- Could I have a refund please?
- Can I speak to the manager please?
- I’d like to return this please.
- I’d like to make a complaint.
- I’d like to change this for a different size please.
- Do you have the original receipt?
- Did you buy it from one of our other stores?
- Can I ask why you’re returning it please?
- Can I ask why you’ve changed your mind please?
- It doesn’t work.
- It doesn’t fit.
- It was a gift, but I don’t like it.
- It was a gift, but the person I bought it for doesn’t like it.
THINGS WRITTEN ON SIGNS THAT YOU MIGHT SEE
- Open 24HRS (HOURS) a day
- Special offer
- Clearance sale
- Great value products
- Good value
- BUY 1 GET 1 FREE
- Buy one get one half price
- Half price sale
- 70% OFF EVERYTHING
- Reduced to clear
- Out for lunch
- Back in 15 minutes
- Back at 2PM
- Shoplifters will be prosecuted
- CCTV in operation
USING A CREDIT CARD
- enter your pin
- please wait
- remove your card
PRICES AND NUMBERS
£5.99 = “Five pounds and ninety-nine pence” (long way)
£5.99 = “Five, ninety-nine” (short way)
$12.75 = “Twelve dollars and seventy-five cents” (long way)
$12.75 = “Twelve seventy-five” (short way)
€3.20 = “Three euros and twenty cents” (long way)
€3.20 = “Three twenty” (short way)
Example Conversation 1:
A: Which sofa should we buy? I can’t decide!
B: This one is larger, but it’s more expensive. I prefer the smaller one.
Example Conversation 2:
A: I need a new watch, but I don’t know which one to get. Can you give me any suggestions?
B: Rolex watches are better than Sekonda, but they’re not as affordable. Sekonda watches are better value for money.
Example Conversation 3:
A: I like the red sweater. What do you think?
B: I like the red one too, but I think the blue one is better, and the green one is best. The green color really suits you.
Example Conversation 4:
A: What do you think of this dress? Does it suit me?
B: It suits you well, but the floral print one is my favorite, and it’s more suitable for this season.
Different ways of asking someone to SHOW you something
- Can you show me the ….. please? (Informal)
- Could you show me the ….. please? (Informal / Formal / More Polite)
- Would you be so kind to show me the ….. please? (Formal)
- I’d like to see the ….. please.
When you want to TRY something, you can say:
- Do you have any testers for these (lipstick) colors?
- Can I try it / them on, please?
- Could I try it / them on, please?
- Is it okay if I try this / these on?
- Where can I try it / them on?
- Where are the changing rooms, please?
If you’d like the shop assistant to give you a DIFFERENT SIZE OR COLOR, you could say:
- Do you have it / them in size ….. please?
- Do you have this/these in a smaller / bigger / larger size please?
- Can I try the larger / small one please?
- Do you have it / them in a different color please?
- This is a little too tight / loose, do you have another one?
When you finally decide what you want to BUY, you can say:
- Wow, this one is great. I’ll take it!
- This one is perfect, I’ll take it thanks.
- I’ll have this one, please!
- Can I buy the …. , please?
- How much is it / are they?
- I’d like to buy this one, please.
- I’d like to buy it / them, please.
1/ Excuse me, ma’am/ sir? How can i help you?
Good morning/ Good afternoon/ Good evening ma’am/ sir! Can i help you?
No, thanks. I’m just browsing!
No, thanks. I’m just looking!
2/ I’m looking for a jacket!
3/ What color do you like, sir/ma’am?
I like blue please!
4/ Oh, i’m very sorry! We don’t have blue now.
its out of stock
its not available
5a/ Do you have yellow color?
Very sorry! it’s out of stock
5b/ Do you have another color?/ What colors do you have?
Yes, we have green.
6/ Ok, fine/ ok cool/ well, its good for me.
7/ What size do you like sir/ ma’am?
Medium/ small/ large/ extra large size, please
Size 36/ 39/ 42
8/ Can I try it/ them on?
Where is the fitting room/ changing room, please?
(go straight about 2 meters, turn right, the fitting room is in front you)
9/ How much is it/ are they?
It’s 100 thousands dongs
10a/ Really cheap/ it’s a good deal!
I will take it/ I will buy it.
10b/ It’s too/ so/ really expensive!
Do you have any item on sales today?
Do you have any special offer?
Do you have any discount today?
a/ you are lucky. We have big sales today!
buy 1 get 1 free
b/ buy 1, get 30% off for the second item
buy 1, get 50% off for the second item
buy 3, get 1 free
c/ buy 3 t shirts, get 1 cap
13/ We have another design cheaper, do you want to see it/ have a look/ check it out...?
Oh, no thanks. I think i like that design.
14/ Do you like to pay by card or cash?
Card/ cash please.
15/ Here’s your receipt
Here’s your change
16/ Thank you very much
17/ You’re welcome.
18/ Have a nice day.