Talking about Environment!
Acid rain /ˈæsɪd/
a smoky/stuffy atmosphere
Biodegradable /ˌbaɪoʊdɪˈɡreɪdəbl/ # non biodegradable
Most plastics are not biodegradable
Contaminate /kənˈtæmɪneɪt/ (verb) = pollute
Contaminated (adjective) = polluted
Contamination (noun) = Pollution
Polluted rivers/ beaches
Destroy (verb) = ruin = demolish
The earthquake destroyed so many homes
To die out
Disappear /ˌdɪsəˈpɪr/ (noun)
Lucy watched his tall figure disappear into the cafe
a disaster area
Dry up (verb)
During the sunny season the river dried up
Dispose /dɪˈspəʊz/ (verb) = throw away = get rid of = Dump
Rubbish /ˈrʌbɪʃ/ (noun)
Dust /dʌst/ (noun)
Endangered /ɪnˈdeɪndʒərd/ (adjective)
The sea turtle is an endangered species
Run out of
We ran out of fuel.
People are cutting down so many trees
I don't need that — you can throw it away
Environment (noun) - Environmentalist /ɪnˌvaɪrənˈmentəlɪst/
Exhaust fumes /ɪɡˈzɔːst/ /fjuːmz/
Extinct /ɪkˈstɪŋkt/ (adjective) - Extinction /ɪkˈstɪŋkʃn/ (noun)
The red squirrel is in danger of becoming extinct in England
Smoking cigarettes is harmful to our health
Industrial waste /ɪnˈdʌstriəl/
To leak /liːk/
The roof was leaking
Ozone layer /ˈleɪər/
To purify /ˈpjʊrɪfaɪ/
Renewable /rɪˈnuːəbl/ (adjective)
Reusable /ˌriːˈjuːzəbl/ (adjective)
Smog /smɑːɡ/ = smoke + fog
Solar power /ˈsoʊlər/
To threaten /ˈθretn/
Toxic waste dump
Urbanization /ˌɜːrbənəˈzeɪʃn/ (noun)
Waste separation /ˌsepəˈreɪʃn/
Wind park/wind farm
Styrofoam /ˈstaɪrəfəʊm/ (noun)
Styrofoam boxes/ cups
Population (noun) - Overpopulation
Make one’s living
Warm up questions:
- Do you recycle the rubbish from your house?
- What are some things you can recycle?
- How often is garbage collected in your neighborhood?
- What are some types of pollution?
- What types of energy are popular in your country?
- Are there people in your country who make their living from picking-up other people's garbage?
- Do you have any ideas on how to minimize the use of plastic bags and Styrofoam boxes?
- In what ways can we save more water? Please tell your experiences.
- What are some things that your community is doing to help the environment?
- What can you do to reduce pollution in this country?
How to protect our environment!
Grow/plant more trees
Say “No” to plastics
Use public transportation
Save or conserve Water
Do not litter your surroundings
Bring your own bags or reusable bags
Turn off your devices
Use a refillable water bottle and reusable lunch containers
Stop eating meat (or at least reduce it)
Grow your own food
Cut down on your energy use
Reduce the amount of paper in your life. Don’t Throw Your Notes/Books Away
Walk or Bike more. Drive a car or ride a motorbike less.
Borrow or fix rather than buy
- Do you think overpopulation is an important environmental issue? Why or why not?
- Should gas for motorists be more expensive?
- What do you do to help the environment?
- What is the penalty for littering?
- What can you do to help prevent pollution?
- Which is more important, increasing people's standard of living, or protecting the environment? Think of a situation in your area involving this issue. Which side would you choose?
- Who do you think is more responsible for pollution, individual people or the government? Explain.
- What can large cities do to improve their air quality?
- What's happening to forests in the world?
- What can we do to protect forests?